Our HIStory

How it all started...

Smithfield Baptist Church was organized on October 31, 1830, by ten Mill Swamp Baptist Church members who applied for and received letters of dismissal to form this church.

A church building was constructed on Hill Street for the congregation in the 1850s.  In 1873, the church building on Church Street, formerly the Presbyterian Church, was purchased and used for worship until 1903.  There were extensive improvements during this period.  The building was taken down in 1903, and a new house of worship was built on the same site.  That church was a beautiful building with lovely stained-glass windows, and through the years, two extensive additions were erected for Sunday School use.

The former church building was destroyed by fire on January 13, 1973, which was a significant loss for the congregation.  It was decided to erect a new church building at a different location. The first service in the present building was held on June 22, 1975.

Be a part of our story...

Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together a 8:30am and 11:00am.